12 October 2013

tortillas

After a rather terrible week of midterms, report, and job, this long weekend is strictly for chilling. To start that, Dave and I went on a food tour of Kensington Market.

To start off, two of Dave's favourite nibbles:
The crust of this pie is so delicious. From now on I'm judging pies by how good the crust is (which imo is harder to get right than the filling). Definitely more economical to buy whole pies, I saw people walk out with 3-5 in their hands /sojelly.

 Not surprised that they're all sweet, 上海人 pshhh.

Next up is my favourite:
It's a thick tortilla with a filling of refined beans, pork and cheese, topped with a coleslaw-y thing and spicy sauce. The taste of the three components work really well together. Bonus that it's freshly made, which unfortunately amounts to a long wait time.

So while we waited, we headed across the street:

Mm more flaky pastry. Taste of green olives was a tad strong though.

Though we later found the empanadas place I actually intended on going to:
Was alright quite full, so ordered a mini version instead. The pastry is thinner, so consequently there's more filling (and also consequently more expensive). The salsa is incredible though, adds a nice kick of sourness. This place was also quite popular so we had to wait a bit.

Lastly, after eating too much meat and flour, we topped off with some juice:
Here I witnessed the might of the Vitamix blender (or I think it is, looked similar). Smoothie was good, the addition of mint gives it a nice accent (though Dave found it too strong). The hibiscus jucie tasted rose-y, which was quite interesting (in a good way).

...
...
...

But, in addition to the nice foods, I found Cereal Magazine!!! A Canadian stockist at last! No more kicking myself for not buying it in Bath!
Though I still didn't buy it this time, $24 is a lot to swallow especially after spending so much last night for Jordy's birthday (no pics cause my phone's still glitchy). It's okay though, as long as I know I can buy it, it's all good.

No comments: